- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 What is this thing called beauty?
- Chapter 2 Captivating faces
- Chapter 3 The measure of facial beauty
- Chapter 4 The body beautiful
- Chapter 5 How the brain works
- Chapter 6 Brains behind beauty
- Chapter 7 Evolving beauty
- Chapter 8 Beautiful landscapes
- Chapter 9 Numbering beauty
- Chapter 10 The illogic of beauty
- Chapter 1 What is this thing called pleasure?
- Chapter 2 Food
- Chapter 3 Sex
- Chapter 4 Money
- Chapter 5 Liking, wanting, learning
- Chapter 6 The logic of pleasure
- Chapter 1 What is this thing called art?
- Chapter 2 Art
- Chapter 3 Descriptive science of the arts
- Chapter 4 Experimental science of the arts
- Chapter 5 Conceptual art
- Chapter 6 The roots of art
- Chapter 7 Evolving minds
- Chapter 8 Evolving art
- Chapter 9 Art
- Chapter 10 The serendipity of art
- Books (that I found useful)
- (p.165) Chapter 8 Evolving art
- The Aesthetic Brain
- Oxford University Press
Do we have an instinct for art? Art lovers have the powerful intuition that art is a deep and integral part of us and thus universal. It is a short step from that powerful intuition to think that if something is fundamental to our nature, surely it must be an instinct inserted into us by evolution. At the other extreme is the view that art is simply a by-product of other adaptations, such as rituals that promote social cohesion.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.