- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- 1 The History of Madam Britannia
- 2 Performing Madam Britannia and the Blessing of Example
- 3 Protestant Nunneries, Polygamy, and Christian Heroes
- 4 The Church of England, Methodism, and ‘the province of public virtue’<sup>1</sup>
- 5 The Politics of Paradise: Insurrection, Sunday Schools, and Elizabeth Vesey’s Dragon
- 6 ‘A free Government & Religion rational & pure’: Two Versions of Nation
- 7 The Contrast I: Serpents, Rocks, and the Gates of Hell
- 8 The Contrast II: Bruising the Serpent’s Head, the Little Sister, and Christian Professions
- Epilogue ‘Is good to come of it?’: Britannia, the Clergywoman, and Liberty
- List of Abbreviations
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.