- Title Pages
- Preface and Acknowledgements
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- Chapter 1 Introduction
- Chapter 2 The Formative Years
- Chapter 3 ‘Together under the Name of Romans’
- Chapter 4 A New Provincialism
- Chapter 5 Shifting Fortunes
- Chapter 6 The Captive Body
- Chapter 7 Geopolitics
- Chapter 8 Recruitment and the Limits of Localism
- Chapter 9 Ethnic Exceptionalism?
- Chapter 10 Military Service and the Urban Experience
- Chapter 11 Incorporation through Routine
- Chapter 12 Sacred Space and Sacred Time in the <i>Auxilia</i>
- Chapter 13 Centralizing Cult
- Chapter 14 Distinct Cult Communities within the <i>Auxilia</i>
- Chapter 15 Armoury of the <i>Bricoleur</i>?
- Chapter 16 Status, Competition, and Military Adornment
- Chapter 17 Between Roman and Barbarian
- Chapter 18 Disarming Ethnicity?
- Chapter 19 The Spoken Word
- Chapter 20 The Written Word
- Chapter 21 <i>Veterani</i> and Other Veterans
- Chapter 22 Conclusion
- Blood of the Provinces
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.