- Title Pages
- Preface and Acknowledgments
- Note on Place Names and Orthography
- Introduction Viennese Critics and the “Habsburg Dilemma”
- Chapter One Hanslick’s <i>Deutschtum</i>
- Chapter Two Becoming a German
- Chapter Three Liberal Essentialism and Goldmark’s Early Reception
- Chapter Four Rethinking the “Billroth Affair”
- Chapter Five Language Ordinances, <i>Nationalbesitzstand</i>, and Dvořák’s Reception in the Taaffe Era
- Chapter Six Liberal Accreditation and Antisemitic Attack
- Chapter Seven “Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows”; or, Smetana’s Reception in the 1890s
- Chapter Eight Goldmark’s <i>Deutschtum</i> Revisited
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.