Breaking the Poverty Cycle
Breaking the Poverty Cycle: The Human Basis for Sustainable Development
- Oxford University Press, Inc., publishes works that further
- Oxford University’s objective of excellence
- in research, scholarship, and education.
- Auckland Cape Town Dar es Salaam Hong Kong Karachi
- Kuala Lumpur Madrid Melbourne Mexico City Nairobi
- New Delhi Shanghai Taipei Toronto
- Argentina Austria Brazil Chile Czech Republic France Greece
- Guatemala Hungary Italy Japan Poland Portugal Singapore
- South Korea Switzerland Thailand Turkey Ukraine Vietnam
- Copyright © 2010 by Oxford University Press, Inc.
- Published by Oxford University Press, Inc.
- 198 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10016
- Oxford is a registered trademark of Oxford University Press, Inc.
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
- stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means,
- electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise,
- without the prior permission of Oxford University Press
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Pick, Susan.
- Breaking the poverty cycle: the human basis for sustainable development /
- by Susan Pick, Jenna Sirkin; developmental editing by Shoshana Grossman-Crist
- p. cm.
- ISBN 978-0-19-538316-4
- 1. Sustainable development. 2. Poverty. I. Sirkin, Jenna. II. Title.
- HC79.E5.P515 2010
- 338.9`27— dc22 2009038264
- Cover design by Katie Clark/Collaboration from Giovanna Escobar
- Cover photograph by Arturo Weiss Pick
- 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
- Printed in the United States of America
- on acid-free paper