- Title Pages
- A Note on Citations
- 1 So soft this morning, Ours
- 2 His Reignbolt's Shot
- 3 Respectable
- 4 Nayman of Noland
- 5 Crossmess parzel
- 6 Life's Robulous Rebus
- 7 Three score and ten toptypsical readings
- 8 The Hubbub Caused in Edenborough
- 9 The unfacts, did we possess them, are too imprecisely few to Warrant our Certitude
- 10 Everybody Heard their Plaint
- 11 Tell Me More
- 12 Loud, Heap Miseries upon us
- 13 The tasks Above are as the Flasks below
- 14 From Liff Away
- 15 The Four of Us and Sure, Thank God, There are No More of Us
- 16 A Picture Primitive
- 17 Lightbreakfastbringer
- 18 Arise, Sir Ghoscus!
- 19 Male and Female Unmask We Hem
- 20 The Keys to. Given!
- 21 Aisy Now, You Decent Man
- Index of Passages
- Index of Names
From Liff Away
From Liff Away
- (p.160) 14 From Liff Away
- Joyce's Kaleidoscope
- Oxford University Press
How is the dreamer's attempt to allay anxieties advanced by turning to the uncertainties that attend HCE's fall? The answer here comes in two parts. First, and more obviously in light of the chapters that precede it, this version of HCE's passing introduces his sons as principals. HCE's demise is framed in a standard pattern of history, with Shaun to specifically take his place; the young grow in knowledge and power and seize control from their fathers. A second, and more significant, answer can be achieved by formulating the dreamer's problem as one of finding a stable identity, one that satisfies the demanding impulses within him while also allowing for its evaluation as worthwhile.
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.