- Title Pages
- Prologue: Stephen Dedalus's Hell
- 1 After Lives
- 2 Egypt
- 3 Mesopotamia and Israel
- 4 Greece and Rome
- 5 The Christian Beginnings
- 6 Dante: <i>Inferno</i>
- 7 Predestination: Augustine to Calvin and Beyond
- 8 The Decline of Hell
- 9 Rome's Happiest Inspiration?
- 10 Heaven: Egypt, Mesopotamia, Israel
- 11 Bodies Fleshly and Spiritual
- 12 Dante: <i>Paradiso</i>
- 13 Celestial Pleasures: Renaissance and Reformation Heavens
- 14 Heavenly Speculations
- 15 Heaven Heard and Seen: Swedenborg
- 16 With Easy Intercourse Pass To and Fro
- 17 Scoring in Heaven
- After Lives
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.