- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- List of Tables
- List of Contributors
- Note on Laocoon Editions
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Laocoon Today
- 3 Laocoon among the Gods,
- 4 Lessing’s Laocoon as Analytical Instrument
- 5 Sympathy, Tragedy, and the Morality of Sentiment in Lessing’s Laocoon
- 6 Mendelssohn’s Critique of Lessing’s Laocoon
- 7 Naturalizing the Arbitrary
- 8 Temporalization?
- 9 Criticism as Poetry?
- 10 Suffering in Art
- 11 Transparency and Imaginative Engagement
- 12 Lessing’s Laocoon and the ‘As-If’ of Aesthetic Experience
- 13 Art and Necessity
- 14 Image and Text in Lessing’s Laocoon
- 15 Envoi
- Rethinking Lessing's Laocoon
- Avi Lifschitz, Michael Squire
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.