- Title Pages
- 1.1 Introduction: Overview and Approach
- 1.2 The Evidence
- 1.3 What Charges?
- 1.4 Conclusion: ‘If Anyone Has Cursed Me…’
- 2.1 Introduction: ‘As Rust Eats Iron’
- 2.2 Defining Emotions
- 2.3 Narratives of Phthonos
- 2.4 Phthonos and Misfortune
- 2.5 Conclusion: ‘Careless Talk…’
- 3.1 Introduction: ‘A Relish for the Envious’
- 3.2 Identifying Gossip
- 3.3 Genres of Gossip
- 3.4 Gossip…In Public
- 3.5 Gossip…In Private
- 3.6 Public, Private,…and Secret
- 3.7 From Gossip to Action
- 3.8 Conclusion: ‘A Covert Form ofWitchcraft’
- 4.1 Introduction: ‘Killed by Idle Gossip’
- 4.2 After the War…
- 4.3 Dependence and Vulnerability
- 4.4 ‘Dangerous Women’
- 4.5 Conclusion: Envy, Poison, and Death
- Epilogue: Social Trauma?
- General Index
- Index Locorum
- Envy, Poison, and Death
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.