- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- 1 Mapping out Communitas: Performances of Theōria in their Sacred and Political Context
- 2 Hiketai and Theōroi at Epidauros
- 3 Pilgrimage to the Oracle of Apollo at Delphi: Patterns of Public and Private Consultation
- 4 ‘Pilgrimage’ and Greek Religion: Sacred and Secular in the Pagan Polis
- 5 Down-Stream to the Cat-Goddess: Herodotus on Egyptian Pilgrimage
- 6 The Philosopher at the Festival: Plato’s Transformation of Traditional Theōria
- 7 The Body in Space: Visual Dynamics in Graeco-Roman Healing Pilgrimage
- 8 Mucianus and a Touch of the Miraculous: Pilgrimage and Tourism in Roman Asia Minor
- 9 Pilgrimage as Elite Habitus: Educated Pilgrims in Sacred Landscape During the Second Sophistic
- 10 The Construction of Religious Space in Pausanias
- 11 A Journey to the End of the World
- 12 Pilgrims and Ethnographers: In Search of the Syrian Goddess
- 13 Divine and Human Feet: Records of Pilgrims Honouring Isis
- 14 Rabbi Aqiba Comes to Rome: A Jewish Pilgrimage in Reverse?
- 15 ‘Intermingled Until the End of Time’: Ambiguity as a Central Condition of Early Christian Pilgrimage
- 16 Piety and Passion: Contest and Consensus in the Audiences for Early Christian Pilgrimage
- 17 Urban Shrine and Rural Saint in Fifth-Century Alexandria
- Pilgrimage in Graeco-Roman and Early Christian Antiquity
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.