- Title Pages
- Introduction: the Pedagogical Circle and the ‘Open Secret’
- 1 Imaginary Authority in Rousseau’s <i>Emile</i>
- 2 The Comedy of Educational Errors
- 3 Goethe’s Open Secrets: <i>Wilhelm Meister’s Apprenticeship</i>
- 4 Pedagogy, Fiction, and the Art of Renunciation: <i>Wilhelm Meister’s Journeymanship, or the Renunciants</i>
- 5 Nietzsche as Educator and the Implosion of <i>Bildung</i>
- 6 ‘The Passion of Instruction’: D. H. Lawrence and Wholeness versus <i>Bildung</i>
- 7 The Importance of being Frank: Criticism, Collaboration, Pedagogy in F. R. Leavis
- 8 The Novelist, the Lecturer, and the Limits of Persuasion: J. M. Coetzee and Elizabeth Costello on the Lives of Animals and Men
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.