- Title Pages
- NUMERICAL MATHEMATICS AND SCIENTIFIC COMPUTATION
- LIST OF ALGORITHMS
- LIST OF FIGURES
- LIST OF TABLES
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Multiscale Approximation and Multiresolution
- 3 Elliptic Boundary Value Problems
- 4 Multiresolution Galerkin Methods
- 5 Wavelets
- 6 Wavelet-Galerkin Methods
- 7 Adaptive Wavelet Methods
- 8 Wavelets on General Domains
- 9 Some Applications
- APPENDIX A Sobolev Spaces and Variational Formulations
- APPENDIX B Besov Spaces
- APPENDIX C BASIC ITERATIONS
- (p.1) 1 Introduction
- Wavelet Methods for Elliptic Partial Differential Equations
- Oxford University Press
This chapter gives an outline of the history of wavelets, in particular with respect to their use to numerically solve partial differential equations. The scope of the book and its outline is described.
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.