- Title Pages
- Note on the Text
- 1 Symbolism, Modernism, or the Silver Age?
- 2 The Symbolist ‘Turn to Prose’
- 3 Criticism and Fiction before 1918
- 4 Criticism and Fiction: The 1920s
- 5 From the 1930s to the Present
- 6 From Realism to ‘Impressionism’
- 7 Lyricism, Fiction, and the Transcendent
- 8 ‘Antichrist’: A Mystery Play
- 9 Schopenhauer and the Synthesis of the Arts
- 10 Music and ‘Musical Form’ in Literature
- 11 The Northern Symphony and The Return
- 12 Symbolic Leitmotif and The Goblet of Blizzards
- 13 The Second, Dramatic Symphony
- 14 ‘More Theoretician than Artist’?
- 15 Clairvoyance versus Creativity
- 16 Realists and Idealists
- 17 A ‘Formal’ Theory of Art
- 18 Kant, Potebnia, and Humboldt
- 19 Gogol’, Metafiction, and The Silver Dove
- 20 A Terspectiveless’ Novel? Petersburg
- Appendix: Symbolist Fiction: A Selected Bibliography, 1895–1914
- The Reluctant Modernist
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.