- Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford.
- It furthers the University's objective of excellence in research,
- scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.
- Oxford New York
- Auckland Cape Town Dar es Salaam Hong Kong Karachi
- Kuala Lumpur Madrid Melbourne Mexico City Nairobi
- New Delhi Shanghai Taipei Toronto
- With offices in
- Argentina Austria Brazil Chile Czech Republic France Greece
- Guatemala Hungary Italy Japan Poland Portugal Singapore
- South Korea Switzerland Thailand Turkey Ukraine Vietnam
- Oxford is a registered trade mark of Oxford University
- Press in the UK and certain other countries.
- Published in the United States of America by
- Oxford University Press
- 198 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016
- © Oxford University Press 2013
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval
- system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without the prior permission in writing
- of Oxford University Press, or as expressly permitted by law, by license, or under terms agreed
- with the appropriate reproduction rights organization. Inquiries concerning reproduction
- outside the scope of the above should be sent to the Rights Department, Oxford University
- Press, at the address above.
- You must not circulate this work in any other form
- and you must impose this same condition on any acquirer.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Dorman, Jacob S., 1974–
- Chosen people: the rise of American black Israelite religions / Jacob S. Dorman.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- ISBN 978-0-19-530140-3 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1. Black Hebrews—United States—History. I. Title.
- BP605.B64D67 2013
- 299.6'7—dc23 2012010286
- 1 3 5 7 9 8 6 4 2
- Printed in the United States of America
- on acid-free paper