- Editorial Board
- Joseph H. Auner Louise Litterick
- J. Peter Burkholder Ruth A. Solie
- Scott Burnham Judith Tick
- Richard Crawford Gary Tomlinson
- Suzanne Cusick Gretchen Wheelock
Cognitive Structure, Theory, and Analysis
Inventing the Business of Opera:
The Impresario and His World in Seventeenth-Century Venice
Beth L. Glixon and Jonathan Glixon
Lateness and Brahms:
Music and Culture in the Twilight of Viennese Liberalism
The Critical Nexus:
Tone-System, Mode, and Notation in Early Medieval Music
Charles M. Atkinson
Music, Criticism, and the Challenge of History:
Shaping Modern Musical Thought in Late Nineteenth-Century Vienna
Kevin C. Karnes
Jewish Music and Modernity
Philip V. Bohlman
Changing the Score:
Arias, Prima Donnas, and the Authority of Performance
Affect and Intuition in Javanese Musical Aesthetics
- Oxford University Press, Inc., publishes works that further
- Oxford University's objective of excellence
- in research, scholarship, and education.
- Oxford New York
- Auckland Cape Town Dar es Salaam Hong Kong Karachi
- Kuala Lumpur Madrid Melbourne Mexico City Nairobi
- New Delhi Shanghai Taipei Toronto
- With offices in
- Argentina Austria Brazil Chile Czech Republic France Greece
- Guatemala Hungary Italy Japan Poland Portugal Singapore
- South Korea Switzerland Thailand Turkey Ukraine Vietnam
- Copyright © 2010 by Oxford University Press, Inc.
- Published by Oxford University Press, Inc.
- 198 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10016
- Oxford is a registered trademark of Oxford University Press
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced,
- stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means,
- electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise,
- without the prior permission of Oxford University Press.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Benamou, Marc.
- Rasa : affect and intuition in Javanese
- musical aesthetics / Marc Benamou.
- p. cm. — (AMS studies in music)
- ISBN 978-0-19-518943-8
- 1. Music—Indonesia—Java—History and criticism.
- 2. Music—Philosophy and aesthetics. 3. Rasas.
- I. Title.
- ML3758.I53B46 2009
- 780.9598'2—dc22 2009009903
- Recorded audio tracks (marked in text with ) are available online at www.oup.com/us/rasa
- Access with username Music4 and password Book2497
- For more information on Oxford Web Music, visit www.oxfordwebmusic.com
- 1 3 5 7 9 8 6 4 2
- Printed in the United States of America
- on acid-free paper