- Title Pages
- Preface to the Third Edition
- Notes on the Authors
- List of Tables and Charts
- List of Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Chapter 1 The Constitutional Framework
- Chapter 2 The Council Meets
- Chapter 3 The People
- Chapter 4 Diplomacy and Debate
- Chapter 5 Voting
- Chapter 6 Relations With Other Organs
- Chapter 7 Subsidiary Organs
- Chapter 8 New Charter, New Members, New Rules, New Working Practices, or New National Policies?
- Appendix I (a) Extracts from the Un Charter
- Appendix I (b) Extracts from the Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Appendix II Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council, as Amended 21 Dec. 1982*
- Appendix III The Yalta Formula on Voting in the Security Council, 8 June 1945*
- Appendix IV(a) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 10 Sept. 1964*
- Appendix IV(b) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 12 Dec. 1968*
- Appendix V Memorandum by the Secretary‐General on the Procedure to Be Followed in the Election of a Member of the International Court of Justice, 24 January 1996, S/1997/40.
- Appendix VI United Nations Peace‐Keeping Operations 1948–96. Details of Authorizing Resolutions, Function, Location and Duration.*
- Appendix VII Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, 10 January 1997. S/1997/40.
- Appendix VIII Communications Received from Private Individuals and Non‐Governmental Bodies Relating to Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, February 1997, S/NC/1996/4.
- Appendix IX The Secretariat's Tentative Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Security Council for the Month of August 1995
- Appendix X (a) Presidential Note of 30 June 1993 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council to the General Assembly
- Appendix X(b) Presidential Note of 27 July 1993 Concerning the Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Council
- Appendix X(c) Presidential Note of 31 August 1993 Concerning Council Documentation
- Appendix X (d) Letter Dated 2 June 1995 from Argentina Concerning Changes to the Nomenclature of Statements Made by the President of the Security Council
- Appendix X (e) General Assembly Resolution 51/193 of 17 December 1996 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council
- Appendix X (f) Note by the President of the Security Council [Concerning the Format of the Annual Report of the Council to the General Assembly], 12 June 1997. S/1997/451
- Appendix X(g) Informal Briefing Note on Blue Draft Resolutions, Prepared by the Secretariat, July 1995
- Appendix XI Aide‐MÉmoire Concerning the Working Methods of the Security Council from the Permanent Representative of France, 11 November 1994
- Appendix XII (a) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (b) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(c) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(d) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (e) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(f) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(g) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XIII (a) S/1995/234, 29 March 1995
- Appendix XIII(b) S/1995/438, 31 May 1995
- Appendix XIII(c) S/1996/54, 24 January 1996
- Appendix XIV Letter from the Permanent Members of the Security Council on the Humanitarian Aspects of Sanctions S/1995/300, 13 April 1995
- Appendix XV S/1997/161, 26 February 1997
- Appendix XVI Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XVII Security Council Resolution 984 (1995) Concerning Assurances to Non‐Nuclear Weapons States
- Appendix XVIII Statute of the International Tribunal for Rwanda. Annex to Security Council Resolution 955 (1994) of 8 November 1994
- Appendix XIX The First Sydney Bailey Memorial Lecture. Address Given by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Hassan Bin Talal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at Westminster Abbey, London, 10 March 1997
- Select Bibliography
- (p.333) Chapter 7 Subsidiary Organs
- The Procedure of the UN Security Council
Sydney D. Bailey
Sam Daws (Contributor Webpage)
- Oxford University Press
Discusses subsidiary organs of the UN Security Council, the establishment of which is empowered by Article 29 of the UN Charter. The first section of the chapter describes organs concerned with Council procedure: the Committee of Experts (details are tabulated of tasks entrusted to this committee and of its reports for the period 1946–1996); and the Committee on Council Meetings away from Headquarters. The second section describes the organs concerned with membership: the Committee on Admission of New Members (details are tabulated of applications for membership from 1946 to 1996); and the Committee of Experts established for the admission of mini‐States. The third section describes organs concerned with the maintenance of international peace and security: fact‐finding missions; peacekeeping operations; international tribunals; sanctions committees; UN peace‐enforcement; and other miscellaneous organs for the maintenance of international peace and security. The last section describes one other subsidiary body of the UN Security Council: the Informal Working Group of the Security Council concerning the Council's documentation and other procedural questions.
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.