- Title Pages
- Preface to the Third Edition
- Notes on the Authors
- List of Tables and Charts
- List of Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Chapter 1 The Constitutional Framework
- Chapter 2 The Council Meets
- Chapter 3 The People
- Chapter 4 Diplomacy and Debate
- Chapter 5 Voting
- Chapter 6 Relations With Other Organs
- Chapter 7 Subsidiary Organs
- Chapter 8 New Charter, New Members, New Rules, New Working Practices, or New National Policies?
- Appendix I (a) Extracts from the Un Charter
- Appendix I (b) Extracts from the Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Appendix II Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council, as Amended 21 Dec. 1982*
- Appendix III The Yalta Formula on Voting in the Security Council, 8 June 1945*
- Appendix IV(a) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 10 Sept. 1964*
- Appendix IV(b) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 12 Dec. 1968*
- Appendix V Memorandum by the Secretary‐General on the Procedure to Be Followed in the Election of a Member of the International Court of Justice, 24 January 1996, S/1997/40.
- Appendix VI United Nations Peace‐Keeping Operations 1948–96. Details of Authorizing Resolutions, Function, Location and Duration.*
- Appendix VII Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, 10 January 1997. S/1997/40.
- Appendix VIII Communications Received from Private Individuals and Non‐Governmental Bodies Relating to Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, February 1997, S/NC/1996/4.
- Appendix IX The Secretariat's Tentative Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Security Council for the Month of August 1995
- Appendix X (a) Presidential Note of 30 June 1993 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council to the General Assembly
- Appendix X(b) Presidential Note of 27 July 1993 Concerning the Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Council
- Appendix X(c) Presidential Note of 31 August 1993 Concerning Council Documentation
- Appendix X (d) Letter Dated 2 June 1995 from Argentina Concerning Changes to the Nomenclature of Statements Made by the President of the Security Council
- Appendix X (e) General Assembly Resolution 51/193 of 17 December 1996 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council
- Appendix X (f) Note by the President of the Security Council [Concerning the Format of the Annual Report of the Council to the General Assembly], 12 June 1997. S/1997/451
- Appendix X(g) Informal Briefing Note on Blue Draft Resolutions, Prepared by the Secretariat, July 1995
- Appendix XI Aide‐MÉmoire Concerning the Working Methods of the Security Council from the Permanent Representative of France, 11 November 1994
- Appendix XII (a) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (b) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(c) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(d) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (e) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(f) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(g) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XIII (a) S/1995/234, 29 March 1995
- Appendix XIII(b) S/1995/438, 31 May 1995
- Appendix XIII(c) S/1996/54, 24 January 1996
- Appendix XIV Letter from the Permanent Members of the Security Council on the Humanitarian Aspects of Sanctions S/1995/300, 13 April 1995
- Appendix XV S/1997/161, 26 February 1997
- Appendix XVI Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XVII Security Council Resolution 984 (1995) Concerning Assurances to Non‐Nuclear Weapons States
- Appendix XVIII Statute of the International Tribunal for Rwanda. Annex to Security Council Resolution 955 (1994) of 8 November 1994
- Appendix XIX The First Sydney Bailey Memorial Lecture. Address Given by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Hassan Bin Talal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at Westminster Abbey, London, 10 March 1997
- Select Bibliography
- (p.110) Chapter 3 The People
- The Procedure of the UN Security Council
Sydney D. Bailey
Sam Daws (Contributor Webpage)
- Oxford University Press
Looks at the people that make up the UN Security Council. It starts with sections on the Secretary‐General and the President, and goes on to discuss permanent members (of which there are five — from China, France, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States) and non‐permanent members, of which details are given for each year from 1946 to 1997. The next section gives details of other participants in the UN Security Council: UN member states that are non‐members of the Council; the PLO/Permanent Observer for Palestine; the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia; UN member states that are non‐members of the Council in informal consultations of the whole; troop‐contributing states; individuals and regional organizations. The next two sections of the chapter discuss permanent missions of member states to the Council, and groups (bodies of UN members) within the Council with certain ideological or regional interests. The remaining sections discuss regionalism, credentials, the representation of China and diplomatic precedence.
Keywords: credentials, diplomatic precedence, groups, individuals, non‐members of the Council, non‐permanent members, other participants, Palestine, people, permanent members, permanent missions, Permanent Observer for Palestine, PLO, President, regional organizations, regionalism, representation of China, Secretary‐General, troop‐contributing states, UN member states, UN Security Council, UN, Yugoslavia
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.