- Title Pages
- Preface to the Third Edition
- Notes on the Authors
- List of Tables and Charts
- List of Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Chapter 1 The Constitutional Framework
- Chapter 2 The Council Meets
- Chapter 3 The People
- Chapter 4 Diplomacy and Debate
- Chapter 5 Voting
- Chapter 6 Relations With Other Organs
- Chapter 7 Subsidiary Organs
- Chapter 8 New Charter, New Members, New Rules, New Working Practices, or New National Policies?
- Appendix I (a) Extracts from the Un Charter
- Appendix I (b) Extracts from the Statute of the International Court of Justice
- Appendix II Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council, as Amended 21 Dec. 1982*
- Appendix III The Yalta Formula on Voting in the Security Council, 8 June 1945*
- Appendix IV(a) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 10 Sept. 1964*
- Appendix IV(b) Opinion of the Legal Counsel on Relations Between the General Assembly and the Security Council, 12 Dec. 1968*
- Appendix V Memorandum by the Secretary‐General on the Procedure to Be Followed in the Election of a Member of the International Court of Justice, 24 January 1996, S/1997/40.
- Appendix VI United Nations Peace‐Keeping Operations 1948–96. Details of Authorizing Resolutions, Function, Location and Duration.*
- Appendix VII Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, 10 January 1997. S/1997/40.
- Appendix VIII Communications Received from Private Individuals and Non‐Governmental Bodies Relating to Matters of Which the Security Council Is Seized, February 1997, S/NC/1996/4.
- Appendix IX The Secretariat's Tentative Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Security Council for the Month of August 1995
- Appendix X (a) Presidential Note of 30 June 1993 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council to the General Assembly
- Appendix X(b) Presidential Note of 27 July 1993 Concerning the Forecast of the Programme of Work of the Council
- Appendix X(c) Presidential Note of 31 August 1993 Concerning Council Documentation
- Appendix X (d) Letter Dated 2 June 1995 from Argentina Concerning Changes to the Nomenclature of Statements Made by the President of the Security Council
- Appendix X (e) General Assembly Resolution 51/193 of 17 December 1996 Concerning the Annual Report of the Security Council
- Appendix X (f) Note by the President of the Security Council [Concerning the Format of the Annual Report of the Council to the General Assembly], 12 June 1997. S/1997/451
- Appendix X(g) Informal Briefing Note on Blue Draft Resolutions, Prepared by the Secretariat, July 1995
- Appendix XI Aide‐MÉmoire Concerning the Working Methods of the Security Council from the Permanent Representative of France, 11 November 1994
- Appendix XII (a) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (b) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(c) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(d) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII (e) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(f) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XII(g) Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XIII (a) S/1995/234, 29 March 1995
- Appendix XIII(b) S/1995/438, 31 May 1995
- Appendix XIII(c) S/1996/54, 24 January 1996
- Appendix XIV Letter from the Permanent Members of the Security Council on the Humanitarian Aspects of Sanctions S/1995/300, 13 April 1995
- Appendix XV S/1997/161, 26 February 1997
- Appendix XVI Security Council Presidential Statement
- Appendix XVII Security Council Resolution 984 (1995) Concerning Assurances to Non‐Nuclear Weapons States
- Appendix XVIII Statute of the International Tribunal for Rwanda. Annex to Security Council Resolution 955 (1994) of 8 November 1994
- Appendix XIX The First Sydney Bailey Memorial Lecture. Address Given by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Hassan Bin Talal of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at Westminster Abbey, London, 10 March 1997
- Select Bibliography
(p.581) Appendix XIII (a) S/1995/234, 29 March 1995
(p.581) Appendix XIII (a) S/1995/234, 29 March 1995
- The Procedure of the UN Security Council
- Oxford University Press
Note by the President of the Security Council
1. Further to the notes by the President of the Security Council dated 30 June 1993 (S/26015), 27 July 1993 (S/26176), 31 August 1993 (S/26389), 29 November 1993 (S/26812), 28 February 1994 (S/1994/230) and 28 July 1994 (S/1994/896) concerning the Council's documentation and other procedural questions, the President of the Security Council wishes to state that all members of the Security Council have indicated their agreement with the following proposals:
The following improvements should be introduced to make the procedures of the Sanctions Committees more transparent:
— The practice of issuing press releases after meetings of the Committee should be increased;
— The Status of Communications lists under the ‘No Objection’ procedure prepared by the Secretariat should be made available to any delegation which wishes to have a copy;
— A list of all other decisions by each active Committee should be prepared by the Secretariat, on a regular basis, and be made available to any delegation which requests it;
— The annual report of the Security Council to the General Assembly should contain, in the Introduction, more information about each Committee than it does at present;
— An annual report to the Security Council should be prepared by each Committee, providing a concise indication of each Committee's activities;
— An effort should be made to expedite the preparation of the summary records of each Committee.
For the implementation of these measures, the existing procedures of the Committees should be respected.
Meetings of the Sanctions Committees should remain closed, as they are now, and the summary records of those meetings should continue to be distributed according to the existing pattern.
2. The members of the Council will continue their consideration of other suggestions concerning the Council's documentation and related matters.